Soft Shell Crab With Potato Salad
|Soft shell crabs||4 Small|
|All purpose flour||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Peanut oil||3 Cup (48 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the potato salad|
|Red potatoes with skin||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked and diced|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Green bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely diced|
|Red bell pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), finely diced|
|Celery||1⁄4 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Horseradish paste||2 Tablespoon|
|Mayonnaise||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt and pepper||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Dijon mustard||1⁄8 Cup (2 tbs)|
|Bacon||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cooked crisp and chopped|
|For the sauce|
|White wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. For the sauce: In a sauce pan on medium high, add and combine together red wine, honey, peppercorns and lemon juice. Stir well and bring it to a boil.
2. Once it starts boiling, lower the temperature and add in the heavy cream, mix well. Cook the mixture to reduce the sauce.
3. After 15 minutes, add butter and mix until well combined and continue reducing it until thick.
4. For the potato salad: In a saute pan on medium high, heat oil, add green peppers, onions, red peppers, celery and stir fry them for 2 minutes until the vegetables soften.
5. In a large mixing bowl, add the potatoes, stir in the sauteed vegetables, mayonnaise, bacon, salt and pepper to taste and horseradish. Mix until well combined and set the bowl aside to cool the mixture.
6. For the crab: In a deep frying pan, heat oil for frying the crabs.
7. Take the crabs one at a time, dust it in flour, dip it in a bowl of milk mixed with egg and finally into a bowl of flour mixed with cornstarch. Once the oil is hot, gently put the flour coated crabs and deep fry for 5 - 6 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
8. On a serving plate, add the potato salad in the center and place the deep fried crabs on one side of the salad.
9. Serve this soft shell crab and potato salad drizzled with sauce.
Calories 2743 Calories from Fat 1325
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 149 g229.9%
Saturated Fat 49.1 g245.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 446.5 mg148.8%
Sodium 1788.6 mg74.5%
Total Carbohydrates 252 g84%
Dietary Fiber 8.5 g34%
Sugars 14.4 g
Protein 51 g102.2%
Vitamin A 61.4% Vitamin C 119.4%
Calcium 36.7% Iron 57.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet