Adorable Apple Pie Pops
|Regular salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Organic shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (butter flavored)|
|Ice water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (more if dough is dry)|
|All purpose flour||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon, cold, chopped|
|For apple filling|
|Granny smith apples||2 Large, finely diced|
|Dark brown sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Low fat egg white||1 Medium|
|All purpose flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Cinnamon sugar||2 Tablespoon (to sprinkle on top)|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon, melted (to brush)|
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, sugar, and salt.
3. Cut in butter and shortening until crumbly.
4. Add cold water and stir until dough ball forms. Add more flour if needed.
5. Flatten dough into a disk, wrap with clear wrap and refrigerate for 60 minutes or until cold.
6. In a medium bowl, add finely diced apples, white sugar, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon.
7. Stir to combine; set aside.
8. Flour a work surface and press cold dough out until it is about 1/8 inch thick.
9. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out circles.
10. Place the circles on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
11. Insert a lollipop stick firmly into the center of the circles.
12. Place a dollop of the apple mixture in the center of the dough circle.
13. Stretch out a dough circle for the top crust so that it overlaps the bottom circle slightly.
14. Use a fork or an extra lollipop stick to create a ribbed edge, sealing the pie pop firmly.
15. Brush the pie pops lightly with egg white and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
16. Create four vent holes in the top crust.
17. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and brush with butter.
18. Let cool completely before use.
19. In a serving plate, serve these apple pie pops as surprise dessert or pack as gifts.
Add dough to the base of the pie pop to create a firmly hold if needed.