|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Heavy cream||1 Pint|
|Strawberries||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Start heating oven to 275°F. For Meringue Crust: Sift 1 cup sugar with cream of tartar. Beat egg whites (with hand or electric beater) till they stand in stiff, not dry, peaks. Slowly add sugar, beating.
2. When meringue makes very stiff, glossy peaks, spread over bottom, up side, just to rim, of well-greased 9" pie plate, making bottom 1/4 " thick, side 1" thick. Sprinkle rim with 2 tablesp. coconut. Bake 1 hr., or until light brown and crisp. Cool.
3. Beat egg yolks slightly in double-boiler top; stir in 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind, salt. Cook, stirring, over boiling water till thick €”about 8 to 10 min. Cool. Whip 1 cup cream. Fold custard into it.
4. Slowly pour cool lemon-cream into center of cooled, baked meringue shell, making sure all pockets are full. Smooth top.
5. Refrigerate 12 to 24 hrs. to mellow meringue and filling. This makes cutting neat wedges no trick at all.