Betty's Bacon and Sage Cornbread Dressing
|Self rising cornmeal mix||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Self rising flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Peanut oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh cornbread||4 Cup (64 tbs), crumbled (prepared from the above ingredients)|
|Herb flavored stuffing mix||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Celery rib||75 Gram, finely chopped (1 rib)|
|Onion||1⁄2 , chopped finely|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melt (1/2 stick)|
|Sage||1 Tablespoon, rub|
|Crisp bacon strips||30 Gram, crumbled (4 strips)|
|Chicken broth||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Cooking oil spray||1 Teaspoon (as needed)|
1. For fresh cornbread, in a medium sized bowl, combine cornmeal mix, and self rising flour.
2. Drop egg, and milk in it. Mix until smooth. Do not over mix.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degree F.
4. In an 8x8-inch baking pan, pour peanut oil. Place the pan in oven and heat oil until very hot.
5. Transfer cornmeal batter into the pan, and spread evenly. Bake for about 18 minutes.
6. Turn the oven over to broil, and cook for another 2 minutes or until cornbread is browned on top. Remove the pan from oven.
7. Tear cornbread into large chunks, and set it aside to cool.
8. Place a skillet over medium heat, and melt butter in it.
9. Add celery, and onion in warm butter. Saute until soft. Set aside.
10. Meanwhile, crumble cornbread into medium sized crumbles, and put it in a large bowl.
11. Drop stuffing mix into the bowl with crumbled cornbread.
12. Add sage, sauteed onion and celery, and bacon into the large bowl. Mix to combine.
13. Pour broth and mix thoroughly.
14. Grease a 13-inch by 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray, and transfer mixture into it.
15. Pop the dish in oven at 350 degree F, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the dressing begins to brown.
16. Serve cornmeal dressing immediately for your thanksgiving dinner.
You can prepare the dish earlier and pop it in refrigerator for a week.
Once you transfer the mixture into a baking dish, press and see if there is enough liquid. Basically your mixture should be sloppy.
Your cornbread dressing should be moist after baking.
Calories 1375 Calories from Fat 434
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.9%
Saturated Fat 16.9 g84.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 246.4 mg82.1%
Sodium 4233.5 mg176.4%
Total Carbohydrates 199 g66.2%
Dietary Fiber 12.3 g49.2%
Sugars 16.7 g
Protein 34 g67.9%
Vitamin A 14.3% Vitamin C 4.7%
Calcium 17.8% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet