I LOVE the crisp, golden "crust" from cornbread made in a cast iron skillet. I also love the moistness and fluffiness that comes with baking cornbread in a glass dish. This recipe combines the best of both worlds.
The outside bakes up lightly crisp, buttery and melt-in-your mouth good and the inside is moist and slightly fluffy.
1 Cup (16 tbs) (pure yellow corn meal preferred not the boxed variety)
All purpose flour
1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (White Lily brand)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (Optional)
1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)
2 , beaten
1 Cup (16 tbs)
3 Tablespoon, melted (crisco)
1. In 9 inch cast iron skillet add butter and place into the oven.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
3. In a large bowl, add cornmeal, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and sugar (if using). Whisk together till combined.
4. Make a well in the center of the bowl and Pour the buttermilk.
5. Add vegetable oil, Crisco and eggs and mix well till it is smooth and just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Remove the skillet carefully and pour batter into it.
7. Use spatula to smooth the cornbread and shake the skillet to even out the batter.
8. Bake for around 25 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
9. Remove from the oven, rub butter on it and let it sit for a few minutes before cutting.
10. In a serving plate, serve this bread hot with choice of main dish or enjoy as it is as snack.
We love cornbread and this delicious simple version is a sure-fire hit. It’s a great idea to serve it with a thick meat or chicken gravy or even a vegetarian chili. Make it in a cast iron skillet and watch it fly off the plate.