Low Sodium Cheese Corn Bread
Yellow cornmeal - 1 cup
All-purpose flour - 1 cup
Sugar - 1/4 cup
Baking powder - 1 tablespoon
Extra spicy salt-free seasoning blend - 2 teaspoons
Skim milk - 1 cup
Egg - 1 whole, slightly beaten
Vegetable oil - 1/4 cup
Low- sodium cheddar cheese - 1/2 cup (2 ounces), shredded
1) Preheat oven to 400 °F.
2) Take a medium size saucepan and boil water in it. Stir in corn, green pepper, and onion. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
3) Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and seasoning blend in a large bowl. Set aside.
4) Beat together egg, milk and oil in a small bowl. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in cooled corn mixture and shredded cheese.
5) Spread mixture evenly on a greased 9x9x2-inch square pan. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 400°F or until golden brown.
6) Serve warm with some low sodium cheese and sour cream.