Old Fashioned Cornbread
|Unbleached white flour with wheat germ||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted (Elam's)|
|Baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Stone ground 100% whole yellow corn meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Honey/Maple syrup||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Melted butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Grease an 8-inch square baking tin with butter or oil.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F before baking.
3. Into a large-size mixing bowl or in a food processor bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
4. Stir in the corn meal.
5. In another bowl, blend together remaining ingredients.
6. Pour the liquid ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients.
7. Stir quickly and lightly, just enough to moisten the flour mixture and only until no dry flour is visible.
8. Stir in the nuts.
9. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread. Tap pan lightly on the tabletop to spread evenly and remove air bubbles.
10. Place pan on the middle level of the preheated oven and bake bread for 25 to 30 minutes.
11. When the top is lightly browned and bread is spongy to touch or when skewer inserted in center of loaf comes out clean and dry, remove pan from the oven.
12. Let bread cool in the pan.
13. Cut into squares and serve warm for breakfast.