Mother's Old Fashioned Corn Bread
|Yellow corn meal/White corn meal||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Buttermilk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), melted|
1. In a large bowl, add all the dry ingredients and mix with a fork.
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs into the buttermilk. Stir into the dry ingredients to make a smooth batter.
3. Pour melted shortening into the cornmeal mixture. To prepare crust crisp, heat greased corn-stick, muffin, or 9x9x2 pan while mixing up batter.
4. Pour batter in hot pan.
5. In a hot oven (425°) bake for 20 minutes for sticks and muffins, 25 minutes for square loaf, or until crusty and golden-brown.
6. Serve hot and with tea or coffee