Filled Corn Bread Squares
|All purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Baking powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Corn meal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , well beaten|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Shortening||3 Tablespoon, melted|
|Cherry preserves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Grease and 8 x 8 x 2-in. pan.
2. Sift together flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
3. Mix in corn meal.
4. Blend thoroughly egg, milk and melted shortening.
5. Make a well in center of dry ingredients and add liquid mixture all at one time. Beat with rotary beater until just smooth, being careful not to overmix. Turn about one-half of batter into pan. Spoon 1 cup cherry preserves evenly over batter.
6. Spread remaining batter over cherry preserves. Sprinkle sugar evenly over barter.
7. Bake at 425°F about 20 min., or until a wooden pick or cake tester comes out clean when inserted gently in center. Cut into squares.
Calories 601 Calories from Fat 143
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g24.5%
Saturated Fat 4.3 g21.5%
Trans Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 58.5 mg19.5%
Sodium 592.6 mg24.7%
Total Carbohydrates 106 g35.3%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14%
Sugars 50.8 g
Protein 9 g18.5%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C
Calcium 35.2% Iron 19.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet