|Canned white corn||16 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Canned green chilies||4 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|Stone ground yellow cornmeal||34 Tablespoon (2 Cups Plus 2 Tablespoons)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Unsalted margarine||3 Tablespoon, melted|
1. Drain the liquid from the corn into a 4-cup measure; reserve the corn. Add enough water to the corn liquid to measure 2 cups.
2. Finely chop half of the drained chilies, if using. Cut the remaining chilies into strips. Reserve.
3. Measure the cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Add the egg yolks, slightly beaten, to the bowl. Stir in the melted margarine and the corn liquid. Beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is blended. Stir in the reserved corn and the finely chopped green chilies, if using.
4. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt in a large bowl until stiff, but not dry peaks form. Fold the whites into the batter until no streaks of white remain. Pour the batter into a greased 9 1/2-inch round or square microwave-safe pie plate. Arrange the strips of chilies on top in lattice fashion, if using.
5. Microwave the cornbread on Full Power for 8 minutes. Cool the dish directly on a heatproof surface. Cut the cooled cornbread into 3-inch squares.
Calories 334 Calories from Fat 72
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.2%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 70.5 mg23.5%
Sodium 545.8 mg22.7%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.3%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.5%
Sugars 6.7 g
Protein 7 g14.5%
Vitamin A 5.5% Vitamin C 7.2%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 13.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet