Tips To Prepare Low Calorie Fish Pie
Planning to quit eating fish pie just because it has a high calorie content? You would be missing out on the abundant health benefits that fish has to offer, why not switch to a low calorie fish pie recipe instead. It is not only rich in protein, but also is abundant minerals and essential fatty acids like, Omega 3 fatty acids which is essential for proper organ functionality and reducing inflammation in the body. Fish is also low in carbohydrates and fats. Given below are certain tips that can help lower the calorie content of this pie, and also make it healthier.
How To Prepare Low Calorie Fish Pie
- Carbohydrates and Fat in fish pie predominantly comes from the crust of the pie. This can be reduced by cutting down the amount of fat used to knead the dough.
- Increase the dietary fibre content of the dish by using whole wheat flour, oats for the crust and adding more vegetables in the pie. This would help satiate hunger quickly reducing overall calorie intake. Adding vegetables also makes the pie vitamin and mineral rich.
- Improve the quality of fat by reducing fats high in saturated fatty acids by using butter replacements. This will in turn reduce the amount of deleterious cholesterol and trans fats in the dish
- Choose the fish used in the dish with care, certain types of fishes have a lower fat.
- Conventionally other seafood like prawns, etc. which are fat rich, these can be omitted from the dish without altering its flavour.
- Always used skim milk ( 1.5% fat) instead of full fat milk (8-9%).
- Reduce the tuber (potato) content of the pie. Rich in starches potatoes would lead to higher calorie content.
Nutrient Content Comparison of Traditional Vs Low Calorie Fish Pie
Low Calorie Fish Pie
Total calories (Kcal)
Saturated fat (g)
Total Carbohydrate (g)
Notice how some of these changes can slash down the calorie content by 100! The cholesterol, saturated fats and sodium content is also reduced improving the health quotient of the dish. Read more about healthy fish based recipes from our site
Image Credits: theculinarychase.blogspot.in