Tips To Cook Fried Squash
Frying squash is definitely an art and it is definitely worth learning how to cook them after frying. There are numerous squash varieties, out of which yellow summer and crookneck variants are ideal for frying. You can either sauté them or deep-fry them by dipping them in batter. Either ways, the fried variants can be used as a base ingredient for other dishes. To know more about how you can make use of the fried squash, read on…
Directions To Stir Fry Squash
You can just stir fry the squash with onion and garlic and use it as a dish or just stir fry it and use for making dishes. Either way, they taste good.
- Clean squash well with soap and water. If using yellow crookneck squash, then peel and then clean.
- Remove the ends and cut rest of the squash into thin slices.
- Heat a little oil in a shallow pan kept on medium flame.
- Add zucchini slices and using a slotted spoon, keep turning intermittently, until the slices are cooked well.
- Season to taste and use as desired.
Saute the onions and garlic, if you are using them first. Then, add zucchini slices.
Directions For Deep-Frying Squash
- Wash squash using soap and water thoroughly. If you choose to use yellow crookneck squash, then peel and then clean. Remove the ends and cut rest of the squash into thin slices.
- Prepare an egg and milk mixture.
- Place a skillet or deep-frying pan on medium to high flame. Add oil and allow it to get hot.
- Dip the squash slices in the egg mixture, roll in breadcrumbs thoroughly, and add gently to the hot oil.
- Using a slotted spoon, keep turning the sides, until either sides turn golden brown.
- Transfer with the slotted spoon to paper towels to absorb the additional oil. Sprinkle salt to taste.
Choose tender squash for the best results.
Tips For Cooking Fried Squash
You can use the fried squash to prepare casseroles, muffins, and even in cakes. Here are few handy tips that you can be of your help.
- Cakes: While using squash in the fried form of cakes, make sure that you deep-fry them rolled in flour mixture. Do not sprinkle salt. Fold in the fried veggie in the cake batter. Alternatively, you can also top the cake batter with squash for a crunchy appeal.
- Casserole: Savory casseroles get a new flavor when squash is deep-fried by rolling in flour seasoned with herbs and spices. Arrange the fried vegetable atop the casserole mixture and bake to perfection.
- Muffins: If you are making sweet muffins, then make use of the instructions mentioned for cakes. If you are using savory ones, then normal deep-frying is sufficient for the garden vegetable. It is advisable to top the muffin mixture, after filling them in muffin pans, with the fried squash.
Now that you have learnt how to cook fried squash, when are you going to try these dishes?