How To Cook Fried Egg
Get to know how to cook the perfect fried egg. Very often, this simple dish can go awry and be undercooked or end up with a tough texture. A fried egg can be cooked within minutes but the skill lies in getting it right, the opaque white forming a circle with the perfectly rounded yellow yolk sitting snugly in the middle. Let us see how to cook this simple egg dish easily.
Directions for Cooking a Perfect Fried Egg
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Add some butter or cooking oil.
- Crack open the egg on to the warm oil.
- Cook egg over low to medium heat since this would keep the egg soft-textured.
- Use a thin spatula to break up the clumps while the white is cooking. This would facilitate even cooking of the egg.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Fry each egg for 1 minute or until the white solidifies and becomes firm. Make sure that the yolk does not break.
- Turn over the egg and cook the other side for about 20 to 30 seconds (optional).
- If desired, the top of the egg can be basted by transferring some oil onto its surface with a teaspoon from the skillet. Alternately, add few drops of water into the skillet and cover it with a lid to allow steam cooking of egg.
- Once cooked, transfer egg into a serving dish using a slotted spoon.
Tips to Cook Fried Eggs Perfectly
- Fresh eggs are absolutely necessary for making delicious fried egg. Pullet eggs are the best option, but standard eggs can also be used. Make sure they are the freshest available.
- Always cook egg over low heat so that the white does not clump around the yolk.
- Make sure that the fat used is hot before adding the egg since if not hot enough, the egg would spread and become rubbery in texture.
Fried eggs are delicious to eat and come with the added advantage of being highly nutritious. The rich fried egg can be complemented with a few slices of toast for a healthier option. Traditionally, they are savored for breakfast with a couple of sausages, some baked beans, fried mushrooms, or bacon.
Image credit: paulstoutonghi.wordpress.com/