Vietnamese Pho Recipe
International dish #8 is a Vietnamese dish called PHO (pronounced "fuh").
Here is the recipe
* 4 quarts beef stock
* 1 large onion, sliced into rings
* 6 slices fresh ginger root
* 5 star anise or 2.5 tsp of anise seed
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
* 1 pound sirloin tip, cut into thin slices
* 1/2 pound bean sprouts
* 1 cup fresh basil leaves
* 1 cup fresh mint leaves
* 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
* 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
* 2 limes, cut into wedges
* 2 (8 ounce) packages dried rice noodles
* 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
* 1 dash hot pepper sauce
1. In a large soup pot, combine broth, onion, star anise, ginger, cinnamon, and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer for 1 hour.
2. Arrange bean sprouts, mint, basil, and cilantro on a platter with chilies and lime.
3. Soak the noodles in hot water to cover for 15 minutes or until soft. Drain. Place equal portions of noodles into 6 large soup bowls, and place raw beef on top. Ladle hot broth over noodles and beef. Pass platter with garnishes and sauces.