Peanut cookie is a small, flat, biscuit-like baked sweet having peanuts. It is of American origin. It is generally round, light brown in color and has a distinct flavor of peanuts.
Types of Peanut Cookies
· Cookie made with regular dough with roasted peanuts.
· Cookie made using peanut butter.
Ingredients and Preparation
Roasted peanuts or peanut butter is the main ingredient for making peanut cookie. Other ingredients are butter, sugar or brown sugar, egg, refined flour, baking powder and vanilla.
Sugar and butter are beaten together till fluffy. Egg and vanilla are added to it. Flour sifted with baking powder is added to the butter mixture. Roasted peanuts or peanut butter are folded in. Cookies are dropped on a baking tray and baked at 200 degrees C for about 15 to 20 minutes till golden brown. They are allowed to cool and harden.
· Peanut cookie is generally served as a tea snack.
· It can also be a part of tiffin snack for kids.
· Peanut cookie can be centre filled with grape jelly jam as it is a classic American combination.
Health and Nutrition Facts
Serving size – 1 cookie (20 g)
Calories – 95 cal, Fat – 4.8 g, Sodium – 104 mg, Carbohydrate – 11.8 g, Sugar – 5 g, Protein – 1.8 g
· Peanut cookie is very high in calories and fat. It is considered a junk food as 45% of its calories are contributed by fats and 20% by sugars.
· Such indulgent foods should be avoided by people suffering from obesity. A healthier version containing less fat and sugar substitutes like sucralose and stevia should be used. This will reduce the calorific value of the dish.
· Whole wheat flour can be used instead of refined flour. Other healthier ingredients like oatmeal can also be used to increase the fiber content of the dish as it also aids digestion.
· Salt free butter or low sodium butter can be used to reduce the sodium content of the dish.