Skull Cookies - Halloween
|Softened butter||380 Gram|
|Cake flour||500 Gram|
|Hazelnut meal/Almond flour||240 Gram|
|White sugar||240 Gram|
|Eggs||1 Medium, beaten|
|Vanilla pods||1 Small|
|Pine nuts||30 Gram|
1. Preheated oven at 350°F (180°C).
2. Prepare the baking sheet, lined with parchment paper
3. Sift the cake flour into a bowl, add the toasted hazelnut meal, sugar, softened butter, and knead with your fingers, until the butter is incorporated into the dry ingredients.
4. Once you achieve a crumbly mixture, turn it out onto a work surface and make an indentation in the middle add the beaten egg, salt and the seeds from the vanilla pod.
5. Knead until it forms smooth and even dough. Once done wrap the dough in cling film and form into a flattened ball, so it cools faster, and leave in the fridge to rest for at least an hour, until firm enough to handle.
6. Lightly dust the work surface with flour, to keep the dough from sticking, and roll it out to a thickness of at least ½ inch (1 cm). If it's too hard hit with the rolling pin over the dough to soften it up.
7. After rolling out the dough, cut out circles, about 2 1/3 inches (6 cm) in diameter; if you don't have a round cookie cutter, you can use a cup or a glass.
8. After cutting out the circles, pinch the dough in the middle to form a skull shape add the pine nuts as the teeth, 5 for each cookie; then use the bottom of a wooden spoon for the eyes, and a sharp knife for the nose and here's the skull, ready to bake. Do the same with all the other cookies.
9. After the cookies are shaped, place in a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven for about 20-22 minutes.
10. Serve it as a treat to kids.
Use a low-gluten flour, such as cake flour; besides the longer you knead the dough, the more gluten it develops, causing the dough to become too hard. Hence use a low-gluten flour.
Do not throw away the empty vanilla pod, but rather place it in your sugar bowl, for vanilla-flavored sugar.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7281 Calories from Fat 4227
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 488 g750.1%
Saturated Fat 208.7 g1043.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1003.2 mg334.4%
Sodium 359.8 mg15%
Total Carbohydrates 673 g224.2%
Dietary Fiber 76.6 g306.6%
Sugars 252.5 g
Protein 116 g231.6%
Vitamin A 195.4% Vitamin C 25.6%
Calcium 75.7% Iron 76.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet