Joscelyne's Jelly Cookies
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Plus 1/2 cup more for dusting)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for dredging cookies)|
|Raspberry jam/Jello||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Cream butter in large bowl. Add brown sugar and granulated sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg, then vanilla.
2. Sift together flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Gradually add dry ingredients to butter/sugar/egg
3. mixture, stirring just until blended.
4. Divide dough in half and wrap halves in waxed paper or cling film. Chill in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight if you can.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees 20 minutes before you are ready to bake the cookies.
6. Working with 1 portion at a time, roll dough to 1/4-inch (or less) thickness on floured work surface. Cut out cookies with 2 1/2-inch cutter. Set aside half the cutout cookies.
7. Using very small cutter, cut out hole in center of remaining half the cookies. Work the scraps back into the remaining dough. Chill dough again before rolling out for second batch.
8. Transfer cookies to ungreased baking sheets with metal spatula, spacing them about 1 1/2-inches apart.
9. Bake 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned.
10. Let cool completely on wire racks.
11. Sprinkle powdered sugar on cookies with holes.
12. Spread whole cookies with jelly. Top with sugared cookies.
13. Arrange on a platter for your holiday table. You can also pack them in boxes or in plastic bags to include in your holiday gift hampers.
Chill the dough over night and work quick.
Use a lot of flour while rolling and cutting out the cookies and the colder the dough the better. They keep their shape and look great.
You can use the center cookie cutter to re-cut the middle of the cookie after they have cooled.
You'll Need: Baking sheet, metal spatula, rolling pin, 2 1/2 -inch cookie cutter, 1-inch or smaller cookie cutter, wire cooling racks
This recipe makes 24 cookies.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3828 Calories from Fat 1649
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 187 g288.4%
Saturated Fat 117.1 g585.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 695.3 mg231.8%
Sodium 1465.6 mg61.1%
Total Carbohydrates 553 g184.3%
Dietary Fiber 0.01 g0.04%
Sugars 528.2 g
Protein 8 g16.4%
Vitamin A 117.3% Vitamin C
Calcium 8.2% Iron 6.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet