2. In a bowl, combine the flour with the baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In an electric mixer, cream the butter until nice and smooth. Add in the granulated sugar and brown sugar and cream them together on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
4. Add the vanilla extract and pour in one egg at a time and continue beating until well incorporated. Scrape any extra mixture on the sides of the bowl and beat again to mix.
5. Gradually add in the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture while mixing. Once done, stir in the chocolate chips and mix well.
6. Stir in the chopped walnuts or pecans and beat again.
7. Take the non-greased cookie sheet and drop a tablespoon each of the cookie batter onto the cookie sheet.
8. Bake the cookies at 375 degrees for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Once done, remove the cookie sheet from the oven and let the cookies sit on the sheet for 2 minutes. Then transfer them onto a rack to cool completely.
10. Serve the ghirardelli chocolate chip cookies with tea or coffee.