Talk about a fun cookie to make with the kids! They love molding these buttery, soft cookies. You will need to leave them in the fridge overnight so make sure you allot the time for this. One of our viewers stated they add peppermint extract to the red dough and almond to the plain. That sounds fantastic!
1 Cup (16 tbs), softened
163 Gram, divided (2/3 CUP + 2 Tablespoon)
2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)
Red food coloring
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. FOR RED DOUGH: In a bowl Cream ½ cup of butter and 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon of sugar.
3. Beat in 1 egg yolk, food coloring and ¼ teaspoon almond extract.
4. Beat in 1¼ cups flour until well blended.
5. Form batter into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
6. FOR THE WHITE DOUGH: Repeat the steps as done for the red dough, except for the red coloring.
7. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
8. Remove from the refrigerator.
9. Tear off a walnut sized piece of red dough and roll it out on aluminium foil to form a small rope.
10. Do the same with the plain dough.
11. Twist the ropes together and then bend the top into a curve to form a candy cane.
12. Bake cookies at 425 degrees for about 8 minutes.
13. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
14. In a serving platter, serve the cookies with drinks.