1 Cup (16 tbs), shelled and roasted (preferably store bought Asian peanuts)
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely
1 Cup (16 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1. Line a baking tray with a greased cookie sheet.
2. In a frying pan, heat ½ tablespoon butter and fry the jalapeno peppers, on medium heat, until soft.
3. Add the peanuts to the pan and saute them along with the Jalapenos.
4. In a saucepan, mix the sugar and the corn syrup and bring them to a boil, on medium high heat.
5. Stir the corn syrup occasionally, until its colour changes to caramel.
6. Turn the heat to medium, when the colour of the syrup changes and mix in the sautéed jalapenos and peanuts.
7. Using a candy thermometer to monitor the process, bring the mixture to a soft crack stage, stirring only occasionally.
8. When the mixture has reached the soft crack stage, take it off the heat and mix in the remaining butter, vanilla and almond extract. Stir well, until the butter melts totally.
9.Add the baking soda and stir well. At this stage, the mixture will begin to bubble and turns lighter in colour.
10.Spread the mixture over the cookie sheet, in a uniform and thin layer. Cool the mixture, until it sets.
11.Break the peanut brittle into medium sized pieces. Place upon a paper towel to soak up the extra oil from the cookie sheet.