This recipe was given to us by our friend Cathy. It is her Grandma Vera’s and it is delicious. We have switched out the butter and the all-purpose flour with non-hydrogenated margarine and organic whole wheat pastry flour and Cathy loved them. You will too!
1 Cup (16 tbs)
8 Tablespoon, finely chopped
Whole wheat pastry flour
2 Cup (32 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs) (for coating the cookies)
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2. In a dry, medium size bowl, mix together the margarine, caster sugar, salt and vanilla until creamy and smooth.
3. Add the flour and the walnuts to the mixture and stir well. The dough should be of a stiff consistency.
4. Roll into small balls (1-inch) using no more than 1 tablespoon of dough.
5. Place the dough balls onto a cookie sheet, 2 inches apart from each other and bake for 15 minutes or until the bottom of a cookie is golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool for a few minutes.
7. Combine the powdered sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl. Drop each cookie in the bowl of powdered sugar to coat. Roll the cookies in the sugar two or three times to completely coat them.
8. Arrange on a platter to place on your holiday table or wrap and share with family and friends in gift hampers.