Crackle Top Ginger Cookies
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sieved|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , well beaten|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||2 Tablespoon (for greasing)|
|Caster sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (as required)|
|Flour||2 Tablespoon (for dusting and rolling)|
1. Pre heat an oven at 175 C (350 F).
2. Grease a baking tray with butter and keep aside.
3. In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, ginger powder, soda and salt. Sieve together. Keep aside.
4. In another bowl, place shortening and cream well.
5. Add brown sugar and cream till well mixed.
6. Add molasses and eggs and beat till mixture is fluffy and light.
7. Add sieved ingredients, vanilla extract and lemon extract and mix into soft and non sticky dough. Refrigerate for 4 hours.
8. On a dusted work surface, place dough and shape into 1 ½ inch diameter balls.
9. Place on greased baking tray and bake in pre heated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or till done.
10. Once baked, remove from oven and sprinkle sugar on each. Keep aside to cool. Makes 30 large cookies.
11. Place on a serving tray and serve immediately or store in cookie jars.