1) Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4 / 180°C.
2) In a large bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together.
3) Stir in the sugar and then rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
4) In a separate small bowl, whisk together the golden syrup and egg, then pour into the flour mixture.
5) Combine the ingredients until it starts to form a ball of dough.
6) Wrap the dough in a cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes to rest.
7) Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin and once your dough has chilled you can start rolling it out.
8) Roll it gently until it is quite thin about ½ cm thick and cut out whatever shapes you like.
9) Place the cookies onto a lined baking tray and bake in the pre-heated oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
10) Remove from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
11) When the cookies are cool you can start icing them. Use roll icing, which you can get in all different colours, or if you can only find white then just use food colouring and a paintbrush to colour them in however you like.
12) Arrange the spooky Halloween cookies on a platter and serve.
Watch this video and learn how to make some spooky Halloween cookies. See this excellent video, get creative with whatever cool icing decorations you can get your hands on. Check it out for an extraspecial touch to Halloween menu and amaze your kids!