|Self raising flour||1⁄2 Pound|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft brown sugar||3 Ounce|
|Mixed dried fruit and candied peel||4 Ounce|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Caster sugar||1 Tablespoon (for sprinkling)|
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 400 degrees.
2) Into a bowl, sift the nutmeg and flour. Add the butter and pieces and rub in the flour till the mixture-'s appearance is that of fine breadcrumbs.
3) Add the brown sugar, egg and dried fruit. Stir well to mix thoroughly.
4) On a greased baking sheet, place the batter in 10 to 12 rough mounds. Sprinkle with caster sugar.
5) On the second shelf from the top of the preheated oven, bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, till well risen and golden brown in color.
6) Move the cookies to a wire rack and let them cool.
7) If you wish to freeze the cookies, flash freeze them till firm and then pack in a rigid container. Separate each layer with foil. Seal, label and store cookies in the freezer.
8) To serve the cookies without freezing, simply place them on a serving plate and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled. If you wish to serve frozen cookies, first thaw them at room temperature for 2 hours. These make a very good tea/coffee/milk accompaniment or even a snack.