Soft Almond Cookies
|Whole almonds||2 1⁄2 Pound, blanched and finely ground|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Orange blossom water||1 Tablespoon|
|Finely grated lemon peel||2 Tablespoon|
|Eggs||4 , slightly beaten|
|Cold water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Confectioners' sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (for dusting and rolling)|
1. Pre heat an oven to 175C (350F).
2. In a large sized bowl, combine 2 cups sugar, lemon peel and almonds. Mix well.
3. Add eggs and mix well using a wooden spoon till combined.
4. Divide prepared mixture into 4 equal portions.
5. Dust working surface with flour and place one portion of dough.
6. Shape into 18 inch x 1 ½ inch cylindrical roll.
7. Once shaped, flatten slightly to resemble oblong shape. Slice diagonally into 1 ½ inch thick pieces.
8. Dust these slices with flour and place at 1 inch intervals on baking sheet/ baking tray.
9. Follow same procedure with remaining 3 portions and bake these cookies in the middle rack of pre heated oven for 15 minutes, or till they just start to change colour.
10. Once baked, remove from oven and keep aside to cool. Dust off any excess flour from cookies at this point.
11. In a medium sauce pan, combine remaining sugar and cold water and bring to boil, while stirring continuously.
12. On a medium flame, allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Do not stir at this stage.
13. Once cooked, transfer contents to a small bowl and keep aside to cool.
14. Once cooled, add orange blossom water and mix well. Keep aside.
15. Dip each cookie evenly in prepared syrup and coat with confectioners-' sugar.
16. Place on wax paper on kitchen towels to set.
17. Serve with assortment of other cookies. Alternatively place in cookie jars and serve during breakfast.