|Molasses/Sorghum||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Softened butter/Spectrum spread||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Frozen apple juice concentrate||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), thawed|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Unbleached all purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Powdered ginger||2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|All spice||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Grated orange zest||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|For the glaze:|
|Frozen apple juice concentrate||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), thawed (For The Glaze:)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the baking tray with 1/4 teaspoon of butter.
2) In a bowl, add molasses, butter, 1/4 cup apple juice concentrate and vanilla extract. Mix well.
3) In another bowl, add the egg whites and beat them to form stiff peaks. Add the egg whites into the molasses mixture and fold together gently.
4) In another bowl, add flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, salt, baking powder, baking soda and orange zest.
5) Add in the dry ingredients into the wet and knead together with a wooden spoon to form a stiff dough.
6) Knead the dough for a few more minutes and divide the dough into two equal halves.
7) Flatten the two pieces of dough and wrap them in a plastic cover. Chill the dough for a minimum of 2 hours but preferably overnight.
8) On a floured surface, roll the dough out into 1/8-inch thick slabs. Using a cookie cutter cut out shapes.
9) Lightly brush the cookie dough with a little apple juice concentrate.
10) Arrange the cookie dough on the baking tray.
11) Bake for about 12 minutes or until the cookies turn a golden brown.
12) Let the cookies cool before serving.
13) Serve the Ginger Cookies at room temperature. You may sprinkle the cookies with a few sugar granules.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3785 Calories from Fat 598
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 68 g105.1%
Saturated Fat 40.1 g200.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 162.7 mg54.2%
Sodium 2762 mg115.1%
Total Carbohydrates 729 g243%
Dietary Fiber 19.6 g78.4%
Sugars 260.2 g
Protein 64 g128.9%
Vitamin A 38.7% Vitamin C 8.3%
Calcium 84.6% Iron 214.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet