|Whole blanched almonds||1⁄2 Pound|
|Egg whites||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Lemon rind||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Grease and flour a baking sheet.
2) Add almonds into a food chopper.
3) Run through the coarse blade first, and then through the fine blade.
4) In a bowl, add the egg whites and beat till stiff, but not dry.
5) Slowly add in the sugar.
6) Continue beating for about 5 minutes till the mix is completely blended.
7) Beat in the lemon rind and keep aside 1/2 cup half this mix to use as a topping.
8) Combine cinnamon and ground almonds, and gently fold into the remaining beaten egg whites.
9) Batter should be firm enough to roll. If too soft, the stand at room temperature till firm.
10) Heavily dust a cloth-covered board with confectioners' sugar.
11) Pinching out a small amount at a time, roll out to 1/8 inch.
12) Using a cutter, cut out star shapes.
13) Arrange the cookies on the baking sheet.
14) Over each star, add 1/2 teaspoon of the reserved egg-white mix.
15) Place in the oven at 350°F for 12 minutes.
16) Lightly dust with cinnamon powder and serve.