|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) In a bowl, combine shortening and sugar and beat till light and fluffy.
2) Blend in the egg and vanilla.
3) Combine and sift the flour, soda, and salt.
4) Add into the creamed mix.
5) Separate two-thirds of the dough and mix with red or green food color.
6) Shape into a roll of 1 1/2 x 10 inches.
7) Squeeze the top half together, leaving the lower half flared and curving like a bell.
9) Keep aside 1/4 cup of the remaining dough to shape the clappers.
10) On a waxed paper, roll out the remaining dough into a 10 x 14-inch rectangle large enough to cover the colored dough.
11) Trim the edges.
12) Wrap around the colored dough and refrigerate.
13) Slice into 1/8-inch slices.
14) Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
15) Add a tiny ball of dough, for the clapper, at the bottom of each bell.
16) Place in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
17) Serve as a special Christmas snack!