|Butter/Regular margarine||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Almond extract||2 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Whole blanched almonds||18|
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Lightly grease several cookie sheets.
3. In large bowl, with portable electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter, sugar, whole egg and almond extract until very light and fluffy.
4. On sheet of waxed paper, sift flour with soda and salt.
5. Beat into butter mixture until well combined.
6. Refrigerate dough for about one hour and it will be easier to handle.
7. Using hands, form dough into 18 balls about 1-1/4 inches in diameter.
8. Place on prepared cookie sheets, 3 inches apart to allow for spreading and flatten with hands to 1/4-inch thickness.
9. Using a fork beat egg yolk slightly with 1 tablespoon water and use to brush over tops of cookies.
10. Press almond into center of each and brush again with egg yolk.
11. Bake 15 minutes until light golden in color.
12. Remove cookies to wire rack to cool slightly, store in tightly covered glass jar or cookie tin and serve as desired.