Cherry Icebox Cookies
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|All purpose flour||2 3⁄4 Cup (44 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Maraschino cherries||16 Ounce, drained, finely chopped (1 Jar)|
|Finely chopped pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Red decorator sugar crystals||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degree F before baking.
2. Lightly grease cookie sheets with butter
3. Dry the cherries by patting them on paper towels and keep aside.
4. In a large mixing bowl, place the butter and beat with an electric mixer until soft.
5. Gradually add sugar, beating until the mixture is light and creamy.
6. Tip in the egg and vanilla and beat until well blended.
7. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl then add to the creamed mixture in batches, beating at low speed to make dough.
8. Fold in the cherries and nuts
9. Cover dough with cling film and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour
10. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions and shape each portion into 8-inch logs
11. Roll each log in granulated sugar if you like.
12. Tightly wrap each log in wax paper and refrigerate or freeze until firm or until required.
13. Remove logs from the refrigerator and slice each into 1/2 inch thick slices, using a sharp serrated knife.
14. Arrange the slices on cookie sheets, leaving 2 inch space between each.
15. Bake them in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes
16. Remove from oven and cool cookies slightly on baking sheets then slide them to on a wire rack to cool.
17. These cookies simply melt in your mouth when served warm with tea or coffee.
18. They make wonderful treats at tea parties or you can pack them in a box and include them in your Christmas hampers.
Store baked cookies in a wax paper lined air tight container, in a cool dry place.
Calories 170 Calories from Fat 74
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.2%
Saturated Fat 3.9 g19.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 21.7 mg7.2%
Sodium 46.4 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 23 g7.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.3%
Sugars 13.5 g
Protein 2 g3.4%
Vitamin A 3.8% Vitamin C 0.07%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet