Italian Fig Cookies - Part 1
|For the fig filling|
|Fig||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), ground|
|Almond||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), ground (Sun – Maid)|
|Raisin||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Hot water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper powder||1 Dash|
|Cinnamon powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|For the dough|
|Flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crisco||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Shortening)|
|Whole milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||1 Medium, beaten|
|For the butter cream frosting|
|Powdered sugar||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For the topping|
|Sprinkles||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Prepare a greased baking pan.
3. In food processor grind the figs and almonds separately and keep it aside in separate bowls.
4. In a bowl combine ground figs, raisins, ground almonds, sugar, pepper, cinnamon powder and small cup of hot water. Mix together until thoroughly.
5. In a small bowl beat the egg and whole milk, keep it aside.
6. In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, shortening and butter.
7. Mix the ingredients together till the mixture is slightly crumbly.
8. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and knead to form smooth dough.
9. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface into a 18 x 16 -inch rectangle.
10. Slightly trim off the edges and cut the dough into 4 inch broad strips.
11. Spoon the fig filling over the dough, roll up from the sides and slice into cookies.
12. Place the cookies on the greased pan and snip 2 cut on the surface of each cookie with kitchen scissors.
13. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes.
14. In the meantime make the frosting by combining in a bowl, powdered sugar, butter, almond extract and milk.
15. Whisk until stiff and smooth.
16. Once the cookies are done decorate the cookies with the butter cream frosting and colored sprinkles.
17. Serve the fig cookies as a snack along with a cup of tea.