|Egg whites||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Unblanched almonds||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), ground|
|Ground cinnamon||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
1. Day before: In small bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature—about 1 hour.
2. With electric mixer at medium speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form when beaters are slowly raised.
3. At high speed, beat in 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time; continue beating until mixture is thick and glossy—5 minutes.
4. In medium bowl, combine the almonds and cinnamon, tossing to combine. Add egg-white mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
5. Next day, sprinkle a pastry cloth or a pastry board with 1/2 cup flour and 1/4 cup granulated sugar, rubbing into cloth evenly. Grease several cookie sheets very well.
6. Roll out one-fourth of dough 1/2 inch thick. Keep rest refrigerated.
7. Cut out dough, using a 6-inch star cut from cardboard as a pattern. With wide spatula, carefully remove stars to prepared cookie sheets, placing 1 inch apart. Continue rolling and cutting rest of dough and any trimmings.
8. Let cookies stand, uncovered, at room temperature 3 hours.
9. Preheat oven to 300°F. In small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar with 2 tablespoons water; stir until smooth.
10. Bake stars 35 minutes. Remove from oven; brush with glaze; bake 5 minutes longer.
11. With wide spatula, remove cookies to wire rack to cool completely.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3330 Calories from Fat 900
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 108 g165.4%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g40.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 603.2 mg25.1%
Total Carbohydrates 535 g178.3%
Dietary Fiber 39.8 g159.2%
Sugars 427.3 g
Protein 92 g184.2%
Vitamin A 1.4% Vitamin C 1.4%
Calcium 82.9% Iron 72.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet