|Shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Part Butter)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven.
2. Blend shortening and sugar until creamy and light.
3. Put egg and vanilla in the mixture and stir well.
4. Sieve flour, soda and salt together and once done transfer to the creamed mixture.
5. Separate two thirds of the dough and make it colorful using a red or green food color.
6. Shape the colored sough into a 10 inch long and 11/2 inch broad cylinder.
7. Press the top half of the roll and curve in a bell shape the lower half.
9. Out of the remaining dough, reserve ¼.
10. Take a waxed paper, roll out the dough in a rectangle measuring 10x14 inch.
11. Cut the edges and cover the colored dough with it.
13. Once done, make slices of 1/8 inch.
14. Take an ungreased baking sheet; arrange the balls on it.
15. Make a tiny ball of the reserved dough and place it as a clapper on the bottom of each bell.
16. Bake for 8- 10 minutes.
17. Serve in a dish.