|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground allspice||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped dates||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) Preheat oven moderately hot to 350° F (180°C).
2) Grease the cookie sheets with butter.
3) Electric Mixer Method cream butter.
4) Add sugar and cream, beat on high speed till fluffy.
5) Mix eggs and beat till done.
6) Take a medium bowl and mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
7) In the workbowl add butter and blend till creamy.
8) Keep the beater running and add one tablespoon milk at a time and blend well.
9) Add walnuts and dates and stir with hands till evenly mixed in the dough.
10) Food Processor Method With metal blade in place cut dates and nuts and keep aside.
11) In the workbowl add butter and blend till creamy.
12) Add sugar and beat on high speed till fluffy.
13) Keep the processor running and add eggs and blend well.
14) Take a medium bowl and mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
15) Pour in the workbowl one half of the mixture at a time until blended.
16) Keep the processor running and add one tablespoon milk at a time through feed tube and blend briefly.
17) Put dates and walnuts and pulse until just blended.
18) On the greased cookie sheets add one heaped teaspoon at a time.
19) Bake for 12-15 minutes till light golden and firm.
20) Serve crunchy hermits with hot beverages.