Peanut Refrigerator Cookies
|Butter/Margarine / shortening||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted flour||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped peanuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Beat the butter, margarine or shortening; gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy. Stir in the egg, vanilla and lemon peel and beat thoroughly.
2. Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder and stir into the creamed mixture; stir in the nuts. Mix and beat.
3. Shape the dough into a long roll 2 inches in diameter. Wrap it in waxed paper and place in the refrigerator to chill 2 hours or more.
4. When ready to bake, start oven, set at Moderately Hot, 400° F. Rub the cookie sheets with margarine or shortening.
5. Slice the chilled dough 1/8-inch thick. Sprinkle each with sugar. Place slices on the cookie sheets. Bake about 8 minutes, or until delicately browned.