Almond Cherry Macaroons
|Almond paste||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|10x confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), sifted|
|Granulated sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Sliced almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Candied red cherries||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), quartered|
1. Grease a large cooky sheet; dust with flour; tap off excess.
2. Break up almond paste with fingers into medium-size bowl.
3. Add egg whites, salt and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer at low speed until mixture is smooth and well blended.
4. Slowly add confectioners' sugar, continuing to beat at low speed, until a soft dough forms.
5. Fit a pastry bag with a round tip. Fill bag with dough.
6. Pipe dough out in small rounds, or drop by teaspoonfuls onto prepared cooky sheet. (Macaroons will spread very little when they bake.)
7. For a crackly top: Dip fingertip into water; pat over tops; sprinkle with granulated sugar. Decorate tops with almonds and cherries.
8. Bake in slow oven (325°) 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
9. Remove to wire racks with a spatula; cool.