|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Powdered cinnamon||5 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped almonds||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grated lemon peel||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
1. Beat the egg whites to a froth; gradually beat in the mixture of sugar and cinnamon, sifting about 1/4 cup at a time. Beat the mixture until it becomes very stiff. Reserve 1/2 cup of this mixture.
2. To the remaining mixture, add the almonds and lemon rind. Add the powdered sugar and knead in thoroughly with your hands.
3. Start oven, set at Moderate, 350° F. Rub a cookie sheet lightly with margarine or shortening.
4. Roll the dough 1/2-inch thick on a well-sugared board. Cut the dough out with a star-shaped cutter. Brush the top of each star with the reserved mixture.
5. Bake 20 minutes or until delicately browned