|All purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs), sifted|
|Butter/Margarine||1 Cup (16 tbs) (2 Sticks)|
|Firmly packed brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Walnuts||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), finely chopped|
|Raspberry preserves/Strawberry preserves||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Sift flour onto wax paper.
2. Beat butter or margarine with brown sugar in a medium-size bowl until fluffy and light; beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Stir in flour, one half at a time, blending well to make a stiff dough.
3. Beat egg whites in a pie plate until foamy; sprinkle walnuts on wax paper.
4. Roll dough, 1 teaspoonful at a time, into balls, between palms of hands; roll each in egg white, then into walnuts to coat all over. Place, 2 inches apart, on large cooky sheets. Press down in center of each cooky with fingertip, or thimble, to make a little hollow.
5. Bake in a moderate oven (350°) 12 minutes, or until firm and lightly golden. Remove from cooky sheets to wire racks; cool completely. Spoon preserves into each hollow.