Christmas Sugar Cookie Cutouts
|All purpose flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs), softened (Do Not Use Margarine)|
|Sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In separate large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat butter and sugar until blended. Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low; beat in eggs and vanilla until mixed. Beat in flour mixture, just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula.
2. Divide dough into four equal pieces. Shape each into disk; wrap each disk in waxed paper and freeze until firm enough to roll, at least 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll one piece of dough until slightly less than 1/4 inch thick; refrigerate remaining dough. With floured 3- to 4-inch assorted cookie cutters, cut out as many cookies as possible, reserving trimmings for rerolling. Place cookies, about 1 inch apart, on two ungreased large cookie sheets.
4. Bake cookies until golden around edges, 12 to 15 minutes, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower oven racks halfway through baking. With wide spatula, transfer cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Use Ornamental Frosting or colored sugar to decorate cookies, if desired.
5. Repeat with remaining cookie dough and the trimmings.