Lemon Sandwich Cookies
|Butter||4 1⁄2 Ounce, softened (1 Stick Plus 2 Tablespoon)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon zest||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||3 Teaspoon|
|White chocolate||3 Ounce, melted|
1. In a large bowl, beat 1 stick butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until well blended. Beat in egg, vanilla, and 1 teaspoon lemon zest until light and flurry.
2. On low speed, beat in flour and salt until dough is smooth, scraping down side of bowl frequently with a rubber spatula. Wrap and refrigerate dough 2 to 3 hours, until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Between pieces of wax paper, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies with a 2-inch round cutter. Reroll scraps to make additional cookies. If rolled dough is difficult to handle, place in freezer 15 to 20 minutes before cutting.
4. Arrange cookies 2 inches apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Let cookies cool 2 minutes on sheets, then remove to racks and let cool completely.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest with powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to make a spreadable frosting.
6. Spread frosting over flat bottom sides of half of cookies. Top with remaining cookies, flat sides toward filling. If desired, dip tops of cookies into melted white chocolate. Set on wire rack over sheets of wax paper to cool.