|Butter/Margarine / shortening||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||2 Tablespoon (For Topping)|
1. Cream the butter, margarine or shortening; gradually add the sugar, beating until smooth and creamy; beat in the combined egg, milk and vanilla.
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt and add to the creamed mixture, mixing thoroughly. Cover the dough with waxed paper and let it chill in the refrigerator 1 hour or more.
3. When ready to bake, start oven, set at Moderate, 375° F. Rub a cookie sheet lightly with margarine or shortening.
4. Roll the dough 1/8-inch thick on a lightly floured board; cut in desired shapes with a lightly floured cookie cutter. Sprinkle each cookie generously with sugar and place on the cookie sheet.
5. Bake about 8 minutes, until delicately browned