|Sifted all purpose flour||1 2⁄3 Cup (26.67 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon, softened (3/4 Stick)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Light molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated orange rind||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped toasted almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Royal frosting||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom on waxed paper.
2. Cream butter or margarine with sugar until fluffy-light in a large bowl; beat in molasses, orange rind and almonds. Stir in flour mixture, one third at a time, blending well to make a stiff dough. Chill several hours, or overnight, until firm enough to roll.
3. Roll out dough, one third at a time, 1/8 inch thick, on a lightly floured pastry cloth or board; cut into fancy shapes with floured, 2-inch cooky cutters. Place, 1 inch apart, on large, lightly greased cookie sheets. Roll, cut out trimmings.
4. Bake in moderate oven (350°) 7 minutes, or until firm. Remove from cookie sheets to racks; cool.
5. Make Royal Frosting. Fit writing tip onto cake-decorating set; fill with frosting. Press out onto cookies in designs of your choice; let stand until the frosting is firm.