|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Spanish peanuts||1 Pound|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1. Butter 2 large cookie sheets.
2. Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Boil mixture without stirring until candy thermometer registers 270°. (Syrup forms hard, but not brittle, threads when dropped in cold water.) Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine and peanuts.
4. Continue cooking mixture until candy thermometer registers 300° (Syrup separates into brittle threads when dropped in cold water.) Remove from heat. Mix baking soda with the 1 tablespoon water; add to hot candy with vanilla.
5. When the bubbles subside, pour candy out onto cookie sheets as thinly as possible. Cool; break into pieces. Store in airtight container with waxed paper between the layers.