|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Dark corn syrup||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Crushed anise seed||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
Make several weeks ahead:
1. Sift flour with baking powder, cinnamon, and cloves.
2. In saucepan, combine corn syrup, granulated sugar, butter, and 2 tablespoons milk. Cook, over low heat, until dissolved and melted, stirring occasionally; cool. Stir in lemon extract, anise seeds, and half of flour mixture. Add rest of flour mixture; refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
4. On floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll out dough 1/4 inch thick. Cut into rectangles 3 1/2 by 2 inches; brush with milk. Place on greased cookie sheet.
5. Bake 10 minutes.
6. Cool, then frost with confectioners' sugar beaten smooth with water. When set, store in tightly-covered container; they keep indefinitely. (To hasten softening, add 1/2 apple.) Makes 18.