|Regular all purpose flour||2 1⁄4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs), packed|
|Egg||1 , unbeaten|
|Molasses||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Sift flour with salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at medium speed, mix shortening with brown sugar and egg until very light and fluffy. Mix in molasses, then flour mixture. Refrigerate 1 hour or longer.
3. Start heating oven to 375Â°F.
4. Shape dough into walnut-size balls; dip one side of each into granulated sugar. Place, sugar side up, 3 inches apart, on greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle each cookie with 2 or 3 drops of water.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until done. Makes 4 to 5 dozen.
Pumpkins: Before sprinkling cookies with water, flatten each ball with fork. Press a bit of citron into top, for stem. Bake as above.