Triple Treats Cookies
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), packed|
|Eggs||2 , unbeaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pitted dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), finely snipped|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsweetened chocolate||1 Ounce (1 envelope, no-melt)|
|Flaked coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
Make, freeze dough up to 1 month ahead:
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, cream shortening until light and fluffy. At medium speed, add granulated sugar and brown sugar, beating until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended.
3. At low speed, add half of flour mixture, then milk, then rest of flour.
4. Place dough in freezer container; freezer-wrap and freeze.
On baking day:
1. Allow unwrapped dough to thaw at room temperature until pliable. Divide into three equal parts.
2. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
3. Into first third of dough stir cinnamon and dates. To second third of dough add almond extract. To last third, add no-melt chocolate, water, and coconut.
4. For each cookie, drop about a half teaspoonful of each dough onto greased cookie sheets so that three doughs just touch each other, forming a triangle. Top almond-flavored portion of dough with sliver of maraschino cherry.
5. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until lightly browned and done.
6. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in tightly-covered container. Makes about 4 dozen.