|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Soft shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Sifted confectioners' sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Half and half||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Blanched almonds||2 Tablespoon|
|Currant jelly||1 Tablespoon|
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. In large bowl, mix together shortening, vanilla, and sugar until very light and fluffy. Mix in flour mixture and milk. Refrigerate until easy to handle.
3. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
4. On lightly-floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2-inch rounds. Cut 3/4-inch circle from center of each of half of rounds. Brush with half and half; shave on a few almonds. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, 1 inch apart.
5. Bake 15 minutes, or until done.
6. Cool on wire racks. Place 1 teaspoon jelly in centers of flat sides of whole rounds; top with rings, with right sides up. Makes 1 dozen.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3606 Calories from Fat 2096
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 238 g366.3%
Saturated Fat 62.1 g310.4%
Trans Fat 27 g
Cholesterol 47.8 mg15.9%
Sodium 1153 mg48%
Total Carbohydrates 322 g107.3%
Dietary Fiber 11.6 g46.2%
Sugars 72.4 g
Protein 43 g86.8%
Vitamin A 9.2% Vitamin C 1.8%
Calcium 36.8% Iron 89%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet