1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. Cream shortening until light and fluffy, gradually adding sugar. Stir in egg and vanilla; beat well. Blend in flour mixture.
3. Divide dough into thirds. Add cherries to one third, chocolate to one third, and poppy seeds to remaining third. Into bottom of wax-paper-lined 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan, pack cherry mixture evenly; next, pack in chocolate mixture, then poppy-seed mixture. Cover with wap paper; refrigerate at least 24 hours.
At baking time:
1. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
2. Remove dough from pan; cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until very light brown. Makes 6 to 7 dozen.