|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Shortening||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , unbeaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), snipped|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||1 , melted|
|Poppy seeds||2 Tablespoon|
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. Cream shortening until light and fluffy, gradually adding sugar. Stir in egg and vanilla; beat well. Blend in flour mixture.
3. Divide dough into thirds. Add cherries to one third, chocolate to one third, and poppy seeds to remaining third. Into bottom of wax-paper-lined 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan, pack cherry mixture evenly; next, pack in chocolate mixture, then poppy-seed mixture. Cover with wap paper; refrigerate at least 24 hours.
At baking time:
1. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
2. Remove dough from pan; cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
3. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until very light brown. Makes 6 to 7 dozen.