Orange Saucepan Cookies
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated orange peel||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , unbeaten|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped pitted dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Orange icing||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
Make a few days ahead:
1. In saucepan, melt butter; remove from heat. Add sugar, orange peel and juice; blend.
2. Start heating oven to 350Â°F.
3. Sift flour with baking soda. Add to butter mixture. Add egg and blend well. Add walnuts and dates; stir lightly to combine. Pour into 9-by-9-by-2-inch cake pan that has been greased on bottom only.
4. Bake about 25 minutes, or until done.
5. Cool in pan. Meanwhile, make Orange Icing. Lightly frost cookies. When set, cut into 16 bars. Orange icing: With mixer at medium speed, beat 1 tablespoon butter or margarine until soft. Blend in 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon orange juice, beating until smooth and of spreading consistency.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2640 Calories from Fat 1277
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 145 g223.3%
Saturated Fat 65.1 g325.7%
Trans Fat 3.6 g
Cholesterol 453.4 mg151.1%
Sodium 895.1 mg37.3%
Total Carbohydrates 309 g103.1%
Dietary Fiber 17.3 g69.2%
Sugars 193.5 g
Protein 30 g60.3%
Vitamin A 62.7% Vitamin C 36.3%
Calcium 16.1% Iron 59.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet