Layered Rickrack Rectangles
|Sifted regular all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Double acting baking powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , unbeaten|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Chocolate glaze||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped walnuts||1 Tablespoon|
|Slivered blanched almonds||1 Tablespoon|
|Glace cherries||1 Tablespoon|
Make early on day:
1. Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
2. In medium bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat butter with sugar until light and creamy. Beat in egg and vanilla, then flour mixture until smooth and blended. Refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Start heating oven to 400Â°F.
4. On lightly floured surface, roll out one-third of dough into rectangle 10 1/2-by-9inches. With fluted pastry wheel, cut it into 2 1/3-by-1 1/2-inch rectangles. Arrange on greased cookie sheets.
5. Bake 6 minutes, or until golden around edges. Repeat twice more.
6. Meanwhile, make Chocolate Glaze. Spread thinly on one-third of cookies. Refrigerate rest of Glaze until cool; then, into it, fold cream, whipped. Spread on rest of cookies.
7. Stack cookies in threes, with a glazed cookie on top. Top with nuts and cherries, as pictured; refrigerate until served. Makes about 21.
Chocolate glaze: In small bowl combine 2 tablespoons shortening, 2 envelopes (2 ounces) no-melt unsweetened chocolate, and 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar; add boiling water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture is of spreading consistency (about 2 to 4 tablespoons in all).